Become a Member
Membership in The Unitarian Universalist Church of Yakima is in some sense very simple, you have to sign the Membership Book and make a financial contribution of record. There is no creedal test, there are no required activities at which attendance is taken, and there is no minimum activity level. But this simplicity comes with a complex understanding of what membership means. It means making a commitment to being a part of a community of faith.
We believe that members’ experiences in the congregation are enhanced by participating in the following ways:
- Attend church often. Sunday services and Lifespan Religious Education programs are the heart of the congregation and enhanced by broad participation.
- The Fourth UU Principle is to “affirm and promote a free and responsible search for truth and meaning.” We come together with questions and to search for answers while broadening our spiritual horizons.
- Nearly all our programs and services are organized and run by members and friends; we hope to serve with joy. Many find greater connection by being of service to the church and fellow members.
- Contribute as best you can. This congregation is entirely self-supporting, and all members expect to support its operation and growth. Ultimately we hope that each member gives according to their means and according to the value they place on this liberal religious community.
- Be involved in service to others. As a line from our hymnal states “service is our prayer.” We strongly believe in the value of service to others, both within the church and in the broader community.
- Connect to Unitarian Universalism. Although this church operates independently, we are a member congregation of the Unitarian Universalist Association. So when one joins this church, one also is joining a national religious movement with a rich history. We hope that all members take this identification seriously.
- Be open to getting to know new people and to let people know you. We strive to be a warm and caring community, and feel blessed by the presence of those who join us.