A small group of liberal religious advocates, who had been meeting in the YWCA conference room, were accepted into Fellowship by the American Unitarian Fellowship in April 1956. Just seven years later, this dedicated group called Rev. Glen Turner as its first part-time minister. The Fellowship became a church and called Rev. Turner as a full-time minister in 1965. After he transferred to a full time position the church returned to lay-led ministry and series of part-time ministers. The church called a full-time minister again in 1983 and shortly thereafter began sharing space with the Congregational Christian Church.
In 2000 UUCY purchased their long-time home from the aging Congregational Church members through a self-finance program. The plans for the Congregational church were laid in 1919 with the first meeting in 1921. It is graced with a beautiful stained glass ceiling, Corinthian columns, and 12-pane double sash stained glass windows in the sanctuary.
In 2021, the now lay-led congregation forged a new path, selling the former Congregational Church building and renting space on First Street.